Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Doing research on Native American Traditions has my head spinning!

Yuh Tsalagi. I am Cherokee. Perhaps not full blooded, as I've found Choctaw and Chickasee, as well. But I'm interested in learning more. My new book includes some embellished Native American traditions, and some Indian words. Unfortunately, Cherokee language is way more complex than I had originally thought. For the English word 'love' there are about six Cherokee words. The way to speak correctly is by gesturing with your hands. Not so easy when you're writing a book.

Today, I'm heading to a store in Maplewood called Mystic Valley on a hunt for more Native American goodies. It's a lot harder to find authentic material than I thought. Hell, the "authentic" ones on the Internet are hundreds of dollars, and that's just for little things like jewelry, throws, or mugs.

Now, I've heard some bad things about the employees at this store, so I'm dying to find out if they'll suffer my wrath like so many before them. Nothing worse than a hippie with an attitude! Peace and love, sister, peace and love!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on your quest. I hope you find what you need minus the attitude. If you don't, just tell them that trees aren't the only things that need a hug. People need them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace and love was a crock the first time around. No reason to believe anything has changed since my tie-die T-shirts.

    Research is a vital part of what we do. While you are looking for different ways to learn, try to find a retired or "older" librarian. In the day ... you know ... the day before the great flood ... librarians were the best researchers on the planet.

    Keep moving and good luck with your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my blog! I've become your newest follower as well.

    Also, the best place to get authentic Native American goods is near the reservations. Out west is what I'm most familiar with, very affordable, tourists flock there in droves.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete