Sunday, October 24, 2010

Back to the Grind

Well, it's Sunday night, and the weekend is almost over. Finished a great book by Jeaniene Frost from her Night Huntress series, and loved it. I love reading awesome writers...it gives me something to strive toward. I'd love to write as well as Rachel Vincent (who made me cry...I don't cry), Jeaniene Frost (who's romances are more my taste), and Rob Thurman (who's imagination is unbelievable broad). Therefore, I read as many of their books as possible, perhaps to soak up their talent through osmosis.

So, I began to wonder...what do others read? And why? Is is because it was suggested to you? Do you take inspiration from their style? Is it a release, or escape?

Of course, you can answer all of the above as I do for these questions. I was an avid reader long before I decided to try for publication. I've been reading since before kindergarten, and will even read a cereal box if it's the only thing in front of me in the morning. If you saw my book shelves, you'd wonder how I have any time to do anything else. Lucky for me, I've always been a fast reader.

So, let me hear from y'all. Who's your favorite authors, what's their genre, and if you have a specific reason...why do you like them?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Christy: I've always been an avid reader, but pop fiction was something I began reading later. I've devoured all of a dozen writers, and enjoy mystery series the best. like Patterson and Sanford, Christi, Tess Gerritsen, Baldacci and Carlan Copen.

    I think the only way to write in your "genre" is to find as many books as you can of that particular type and read until your eyes cross.

    Writing is reading. Our unconscious mind picks up patterns and even though you might know it, when you sit down to write a romance, urban fantasy, mystery or straight women's fiction, you have already learned the basics of your genre.

    My extremes range from JD Salinger and the 20th Century American lit, to the Russians and Western European lit to Janet Evonavitch and Nora Roberts. The more eclectic your reading, the better your range of knowledge.

    Great post and thoughtful questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have a hard time picking a favorite "author" per se, because a lot of authors have one or two good books, but I don't really like anything else they write. I read a lot of YA, sci-fi/fantasy, and thrillers. Sarah Dessen is probably my favorite YA author, but sometimes her books bother me because they're all the same story, so I'd hesitate to call her my "favorite author." I really like all of Norma Beishir's books that I've read, but I've only read a few of them. I dunno. That's a really hard question for me to answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christy
    Such a wonderful question and one that sometimes I find hard to write online. The truth is I love love love popular fiction. I've inhaled Clive Cussler, Dan Brown, Janet Evanovitch, Amanda Quick (and all her other pen names), Diana Gabaldon, etc.. Right now I am totally digging Gail Carriger and her Parasol Protectorate series.
    There are two ways that I have commonly found books. First is the traditional pick it up, look at the cover, then look at the back, then debate whether the risk is worth the 7 bucks. It's much easier to risk this at used bookstores or libraries. The second way has been great lately, I've been listening to my friends recommendations. But the problem is sometimes I just don't like the book "THEY LOVED!!!", and how do you tell them?
    Reading taste can be so personal. I've also felt like I should be reading "good" writing, since I am often surrounded by "academics" and such. But I have to tell you, I prefer pop. The stories make me happy, and if I am going to disappear for a while from the stress of the world I would prefer if it wasn't stressful too.
    Of course I ended up writing more than I intended, sorry for being long winded! I do like your blog and look forward to reading more!

    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, not long winded, at all! I greatly enjoyed your answer. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete