Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's no longer a secret....

I have self-published my first book. Why, you ask? Well, that's why I'm writing right now.

I originally went the traditional route, working all last year on queries, synopses, talking with and emailing agents. I did get offered a contract, but after a lot of thought and prayer I decided it wasn't the right option for me. For one thing, I've never been the most patient person in the world. It's not so much the wait as the hurry up and wait that kills me.

The second, and biggest reason, is I really don't care if I make NYT Best Selling list. I just want my books to be read and enjoyed. Who cares if some stuffy critic likes my book, as long as my fans keep coming back for more. Another reason is I really have no desire to have my face plastered everywhere like my beloved Stephen King or Stephanie Meyer. Don't worry, I'm not comparing myself to them, but when going the traditional route all creative liberties are restricted and you become an employee of the publishing house, instead of the other way around. I don't want someone telling me how to write, how to market, etc.

Some have doubted this decision, although the some is a tiny percentage of people I've talked to. I'm posting a link to a very informative article to argue my own point here. After reading this link, as well as many others, including some by JA Konrath, I'm convinced I'm doing what's best for myself and my family. I have no illusions of gradeur, or fantasies of wealth. I just want to make a living doing what I love. After all, don't we all dream of living our dreams?


For those of you who haven't seen the links yet my book is available here and here. Head over and sample the book or feel free to purchase it.

Until next time, happy reading.

1 comment: