Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I'm still here....

Someone recently made a comment that my blog seemed abandoned. Nope - I'm still here. I've had life coming at me from every angle. Everything from the kids constantly fighting during the summer break, to the first day of school, lawyer appointments and doctor appointments.

My recent doctor's appointment revealed that I am fructose intolerant. That means I can't have anything with high fructose corn syrup, sorbitol (or anything ending with an -ol), fruits or veggies that convert to high levels of fructose, etc. That leaves very little to eat.

Okay, that's a minor exaggeration. I can have lean meats, dairy (if I wasn't lactose intolerant, as well), a majority of veggies, some fruits, and even some snacks. The problem is everything in the grocery store contains the "poisons" I can't have. I went through the grocery store with my daughter yesterday and was amazed at just how many "good" foods contain HFCS. And guess what - they don't have to actually put the words High Fructose Corn Syrup on the packaging. They can use different terms and list the food as HFCS-free. You have to learn all the fun little words in the ingrediants.

So, if I can have meats, and veggies, what's the problem? Recipes. That's the problems. Sure, I can make chicken and veggies every night for dinner, but how fun is that? Who wants to eat the same thing every day? Not me. I'm having the hardest time trying to find yummy recipes that don't include some form of high fructose in it. I can't have onions, tomatoes, apples, melons, asparagus, most fruits, any white flour, corn, brown rice, bread, pasta (I did find one in the Gluten free section that didn't have the poison in it), and like I said, I'm also lactose intolerant. I can't imagine how parents deal with kids with these food intolerances. I know it's going to be hard to switch my family over. And no, I'm not going to make different meals for the different members of my family. I'm not a short order cook.

Do you have any food intolerances? Have you found any useful websites or cook books? How did you deal with these inconveniences when you or your loved one was diagnosed?

4 comments:

  1. Christy is skinny and I am toothpick thin. =) Don't get all anal, Christy, I added a stupid smiley face and you know how much I dislike illiterate text messaging.

    Got your abandonment attention, yes?

    On our farm, within our rural farming community, none ever suffered those "intolerance" problems, least when this comes to foodstuffs. Worst case is the farts from eating too much boiled cabbage.

    Christy, what is this difference between a rural farm diet and an urban city diet? This is not fresh grown, nothing to do with organic vegetables, ain't rain water. A good ninety percent of our diet is brown, green and yellow vegetables. Barely ten percent is eggs and pork. Never any sugar other than a chocolate pie once a month made with sugar cane syrup. Late summer, harvest time, watermelon, honey dew melon and similar but not often, some sugar there.

    What is a true difference, what makes a big difference is we work hard each day, hard physical labor like plowing behind a mule or knocking down weeds with a hoe. This is not a one hour break-a-sweat gym workout, this is all day sunrise-to-sunset sopping wet sweating from working.

    All day hard physical labor will cure most dietary ailments.

    Never trust a nurse, doctor, clinic nor hospital, those folks will fabricate an ailment simply to steal your money. A doctor will say your head is a huge wart needin' removing just to steal enough money from you to make his next month payment on his Ferrari. Odds are 50/50 there is nothing wrong with you other than a doctor emptying out your checking account.

    Eat a farm diet, break a hard work sweat all day long, this will cure you and have you feeling really good about yourself, then you can throw away those depression pills and feel even better!

    Probably those pills which are making you sick and unable to have an orgasm. This would depress anyone, I would kill myself if I could not orgasm twice a night.

    Okpulot Taha - Choctaw Nation

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and get rid of that damn "prove you're not a robot" crap down there. I had to cycle through over a hundred of those before I could read the damn thing. Truly did, took a half hour to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother and I are high fructose syrup intolerant, so I know your pain. We stick to whatever organic food we can find, and obviously it's not a whole lot besides fruits, veggies, and meat (and we're not big meat eaters!).
    My best advice is just to read every label. If something has HFCS, try to find the next best alternative. We usually go to Whole Foods for groceries but haven't been able to afford them in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete