Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Have I Invited A Demon Into My House?

While writing She Who Hunts I had an idea in my head, one of those 'what if' moments. I remember watching the news and after a murder had happened the news anchor interviewed a neighbor of the suspect. "He was such a nice guy," the neighbor said. It always seems that after someone commits some heinous crime there is someone in their lives who declare this person was such a wonderful person, the kind of person who would do anything for anyone. But, how the hell did the person just snap and become a serial killer? My first thought-maybe they became possessed.

Now, as I'm working on the second book, I've become almost obsessed with the idea of demon possessions, and evil walking among us. I have to admit there are times when it feels like someone is in the room with me, and not just the characters who are busily chatting it up in my head. Sometimes, when the house is really quiet, and I'm really into a scene, it seriously feels like there's someone standing behind me. I whip around, ready to yell at whatever kid snuck in and was now reading over my shoulder to find an empty room.



Have I possibly brought the demons from She Who Hunts into my own life? Or has the story just become so alive to me that I keep waiting for those things which go bump in the night to tap me on the shoulder? How about you? Ever get so creeped out by something you wrote or read that you checked under your bed before climbing in?

6 comments:

  1. I have a challenge for you, Christy. Write a story which casts God as Lucifer in disguise.

    This will give you the skin crawling creeps.

    Okpulot Taha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are discussing emotional intensity. Within my writer's profession we label this an "emotional hook" which is to hook into emotions of readers.

    Intensity of an emotional hook is adjusted to blend with context, circumstances and events all within your story. A happy-go-lucky emotional hook has your readers breeze right along through your story; nothing to worry about.

    A high anxiety emotional hook will have your readers slow down and pay attention, even become wide eyed while holding their collective breath; lots to worry about.

    My test of emotional hooks is to sit back, close my eyes then play out sections of my story in my mind. When my mind play has me laugh, I know my writing is just right. Should I cry, yes, those are the words. My eyes might pop open and begin to look around as you do, uh huh, plenty scary. This method of testing your own emotional response will have you fine tune your words to near perfection.

    With your knowing God is actually Lucifer, will you ever again kneel by your bed to pray without first checking for that trap door under there, you know, that creaky door where monsters come and go during snoring darkness.

    Maybe I should ask, "Will you ever again pray?"

    Okpulot Taha

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my top three favorite frights which always scare.

    Loss of control. I often dream of meat eating dinosaurs, raptors, t-rex and such. Trick to avoid being eaten is to make like a tree stump; freeze, don't move a muscle. Reptiles find their prey by smell then by motion. Always seems an animal or a person trots into my dreams, wigs out, screams, runs around, and a big meat eater looks in my direction then licks a toothy hungry grin. I have lost control over my dream. I usually awake drenched in sweat.

    I believe what people fear the most in life is loss of control whether this is loss of control over personal life, family life or life in general. This creates a sense of helplessness which is direly fearful.

    Next up for fright is indecision. There are times I dream an alien from space is beaming into our bedroom late night. I must decide if to reach for our under-pillow handgun and open fire, or wait to discover if this alien is friendly. I must make this decision within seconds, I never can decide.

    People suffer serious fright when unable to make a split second decision. This is realization some event is about to happen and your mind stops working.

    Third on my list is confusion, "This doesn't make sense." Reminds me of sewing pockets shut on all my husband's blue jeans, really did, very professionally. His confusion was intense, "Why can't I slip my wallet in my back pocket? This doesn't make sense." Poor boy, his folding cash won't slide into his front pocket, can't slide in his wallet, picks and pulls at his pockets which will not open up, "This doesn't make a cow lick of sense, I must be going crazy or something."

    Confusion causes fierce fear through letting imagination loose to run wild; anything is possible, nothing makes sense.

    Have you decided if God is actually Lucifer?

    Okpulot Taha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see in your picture you are wearing a cross. As a Christian, I know there is a spiritual realm that we can not see. Realizing I'm "putting myself out there" for those who don't believe, here is what I think. Devils roam there and try to influence us every day. It may be you are so emotionally attached to your story since it is very real to you, but it also could mean you do have a demon or two interested in your story and are 'hanging around'. You need to keep your reality strongly separate from your story, but I would also stay in prayer. If you believe in guardian angels, I'd ask them to protect you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting how what we write can become so real. But spiritual things seem even more so. I just talk about demons and get the creeps--I can't imagine how terrified I'd be after writing about one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. its very intresting pic,thanks for share this,keep it

    ReplyDelete