Friday, October 7, 2011

If you make me mad I'll give you a bad review!

Not really, but this sure seems like the way of the writing industry. I guess when I started looking for other authors, I was completely naive. I thought we would all hold hands and encourage each other. Of course, not everyone would get along, as that's just the way it is, but those people would just choose to befriend someone else. I had no idea that if someone disliked my shoes, my nose, my hair, or my style of writing it would become their personal mission to destroy my spirit.

Let me just say this...no, my feelings aren't hurt, I won't be hanging from my shower stall, dragging a razor across my wrist, or even frowning. Just because someone may not like me will not change who I am, or how I feel about life.

So, to the point of this blog...should authors review their friend's books? I've noticed a lot of "give mine a review, and I'll give yours a review", whether or not the book has been read. Hell, I had a couple of friends do that to my first book when I first released it. Then, to my surprise, when these people decided I was no longer a part of the popular crowd, they first took their reviews down, then took turns bashing my book in other's reviews. Grow up! I will not review a book I've never read, I will not give a great review to a book I don't like, and I will not attack someone because I don't like them. There is actually an author I know whom I've lost all respect for, yet I rather enjoy one of their books.

Do you think authors should trade reviews? What if you/they have never read the book? Do you think this is a slippery slope?

4 comments:

  1. Well trading reviews doesn't have to be a bad thing, as long as people actually do, like you said, read the book. And as long as they're not afraid to give honest opinions of each other's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the key point...read the book. I've noticed a lot of people are using reviews as almost like a club. If they like you they write a great review whether they've read the book or not. If you piss them off...look out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CL, are these writers people you only know online, or writers that you know in person? I've met and become friends with a lot of writers by joining writing and critique groups and going to conventions. I don't hesitate to ask those writers for a review.

    It's different with writers I only know online. I don't really "know" these people, and I'm hesitant to ask them to do anything other than like my page or follow my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were actually people I knew, for the most part, in person, although we had all met online.

    ReplyDelete