Monday, May 16, 2011

Life always seems to get in the way!

I am so closed to finishing my latest novel I can taste it. However, every time I sit down to write something comes up. I have been blessed to stay home while my husband works. Even with not working outside of the home I still don't seem to have enough time in the day to get everything done. As if my plate isn't full enough, now I have two months to pack up a household of five (not counting all the critters), find a house, and get us moved. I really don't mind packing, it's the moving part that sucks. There never seems to be anyone in town when I need them.

So, I got to thinking: there has to be others out there with secrets to time management. I've heard of some who break everything down in time increments. You know, two hours for writing, two hours for networking, two hours for marketing, two hours for housework. What I'm curious about is those of you who work outside of the home. How the hell do you find time for everything?

Personally, the way I've been doing things lately (before the news of our quick move) is every time I hit a wall in my writing, I get away from the laptop and do some housework. When it's time for a break from manual labor, and if the story hasn't rebooted itself in my brain, I move over to networking and marketing. Granted, neither have been done to the extent they both need to be lately, but I'm trying.

I have a script to write for Voices of Valhalla which is do by the end of the month. As the publicity chair of the St. Louis Writers Guild I'm not thinking it would be uber professional if I were to turn it in late. Nah, not so much. So, do the math...moving, housework, three children (two with substantial special needs), pets, writing my novel, writing a script, networking, blogging, marketing, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone know where I can buy a few extra hours a day?

2 comments:

  1. Christi: I work a flexible schedule in a hair salon dictated by a tyrant. Meaning, I'm on call on my days off. So, when shit happens where my time's been crunched, I put my writing above the toilet scrubbing and the marketing. Everything else comes after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see, I used to work 50+ hours a week, with infant dumped in day care, while my husband worked in china part time. During that time I was a volunteer naturalist and we were rehabbing an isadore shank house while trying to live in it. Turns out that didn't work. first the volunteering went, then housekeeping, then the house, then the job :) Everybody has the same 24 hours, but there really is only 24 hours! check out flylady.net though. Ignore the stuff she tries to sell and go with her original message: babysteps and schedules!

    ReplyDelete