Monday, June 6, 2011

Do Opposites Really Attract?

When creating my characters, I tend to rely on my favorite past-time...people watching. Sometimes, my characters are random strangers I observed on a certain day. Others, and most often, I use characteristics of people I know. In other words, you may very well share a specific trait with a character, or perhaps read a conversation you recognize.

My main characters tend to have some form of a relationships, be it romantic, or purely platonic. I tend to use my own marriage when writing the 'romantic' aspects. But, the question really is, do opposites attract? My husband is a very laid back man. He rarely tells me no, and will eat anything I put in front of him. He couldn't care less if I wear makeup or designer clothes. Therefore, most of my males tend to be more laid back, and live to make their ladies happy.


I, on the other hand, tend to be a little high strung. I'm constantly full of energy, and anxious. I can hardly sit still more than thirty minutes at a time without getting restless (not a good trait for a writer). Therefore, my females tend to be high strung and energetic.


But, is this a normal phenomenon? Do attracts truly attract? I've seen many couples (both in my personal life and through general observations) who don't compliment each other's 'flaws'. Rather, they seem more like oil and water, bouncing painfully off each other, never melding or mixing, always pulling away from each other.


So, are my characters so far from he norm as to not be realistic? Of course, in fantasy, realistic is not really necessary. But, can you possibly care about a character who seems so far out of right field?

3 comments:

  1. When it comes to caring about characters in a story, I can relate to them even if they're the polar opposite of me, as long as the story is written well. In my personal life, I am the picture perfect example of the shy/quiet/introverted girl, and being around people who are outgoing and talkative for me is at best uncomfortable and at worst annoying. I know a lot of people who are more the quiet type who say having friends/romantic partners who are more extraverted balance them out and they like it, but personally, I'd rather be with people more similar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes me care about a character is the fact they love and hate. Currently, I'm reading a novel where one of the main characters is a jewel thief but I love him and I don't want him to get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...interesting. I agree with you on a point though. Usually those strong "opposite" couples seem to clash against their differences, instead of it fitting like a puzzle piece. That's been especially strong in my own relationships (for me it's highly motivated and goal-oriented and some-what a workaholic meets....laid-back and sort of fine with the status quo.

    Often times though, my main female characters are some version of myself and the male character (her love interest, husband, boyfriend) seems to be more of the supporter, rather than the take-charge type of personality (so, yes, I guess I do have my characters play out this "opposites attract" deal)

    Usually, though, it doesn't quite work out like they (or I) usually want. So, maybe that's a bit more realistic? But, I would say yes...even if you character deviates from the norm - I'd say it's totally possible to care about a character anyways.

    ReplyDelete