Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Creepy Dolls, Animal Skulls, and Eevie Jeevies....

I have no idea if Eevie Jeevies is a real phrase, but I'm using it, dammit! Not too long ago I pushed a desk into a back corner of the basement, and set up my laptop with an ergonomic keyboard. My wrists were giving me fits, as were my neck and back. Cool. So I have my own little writing cave. Well, this corner has morphed slowly yet surely. First, I made sure to have candles, mainly for the scent and ambiance. My muse decided she liked that so I'm now up to eight candles of varying sizes and smells. Little by little more things, odd things made their way into my cave. Like this...
That seems mild, right? I mean, who doesn't love Daryl, and of course I framed the cover of my first published book. The wolf painting below was something my baby sister painted for me years ago.

So I bet you're wondering why I said creepy dolls, skulls, and eevie jeevies. Well, here's what's been added over the past few months....

On the left is a doll my mom gave me to watch over me while I write. She's over fifty years old and has never looked any better than this. At least I put some clothes on her. On the right is a disembodied doll head I found at a flea market and an animal skull my son found for me. He found it in a creek called Skullbone Creek, oddly enough.

As things made their way over to my writing cave I became more creative, and more uneasy. There's been more than one occasion when I've been home alone, yet I've felt someone standing behind me. Even the dogs would circle around to stand behind me and stare off into space. Quite creepy, hence the feeling of eevie jeevies!

Here's the full picture of where I write...
The space itself doesn't really lend to stuff of horror movies, but I'm wondering if something didn't come along with the doll head or skull.

Do you have a writing cave or specific area just for penning your bestsellers? I would love to see a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment